Tenant FAQs

Do you charge a Letting Agents fee?

Tenants living in rented properties managed by Living Residential don’t pay us any fees. Your landlord is responsible for paying all letting agency fees.

Why do I need to be referenced?

References are a way for your landlord to help ensure you can make monthly rental payments on time and look after the property. It’s standard practice to get references from previous landlords and your employer. In addition, a landlord may request proof of income and run credit history checks.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is someone who takes responsibility to pay rent arrears or damages if you can’t pay them. Typically, you and your guarantor should have a trusting relationship. Landlords usually require a guarantor if there are problems with your references.

How does a holding deposit work?

You can pay a holding deposit to secure the tenancy when you find a rented property. This allows the landlord to run background checks and gives you peace of mind. If references and credit checks are okay, the deposit goes toward your first month’s rent or security deposit. However, you may lose the money if you decide not to move into the apartment after paying the holding deposit.

Am I liable for the Council Tax and utilities?

Tenants are typically liable to pay bills for council tax, gas, water, electricity and the TV license. However, the tenancy agreement should state which bills you must pay. If your landlord has decided to include some bills in the monthly rent payment, these should be clearly stated in the tenancy.

What is an inspection?

A property inspection is when a landlord or letting agent arranges to check its condition or state of repair. It’s good to know that they can’t arrive unannounced. By law, you must receive at least 24 hours notice in writing, and the inspection must be during reasonable times. Additionally, there must be reasonable intervals between inspections.

Can I give notice whenever I like?

The type of tenancy and tenancy agreement determines how much notice you must give your landlord to end a tenancy early.

For fixed-term tenancy, you are required to pay rent for the entire duration. However, you can end the tenancy early if the agreement has a break clause or your landlord agrees to it.

For rolling tenancy agreements, the minimum notice depends on the tenancy period. For example, if you have a month to month tenancy, then at least one month’s notice is required. If it’s a week to week tenancy, then four weeks’ notice is the minimum time.

Who is responsible for maintaining the property?

Your landlord is required by law to ensure your rental property is kept in a habitable and safe condition. In addition, it’s the landlord’s responsibility to provide necessary utilities—heating, hot water, running cold water and bin collection. Resolving pest infestation, dampness and mould issues are also responsibilities of landlords.

You must keep the property clean, avoid causing damage and promptly report any repair issues to the landlord.

I am not happy with the inventory, it doesn’t seem accurate. What do I do?

You must notify the landlord or letting agent within seven days if you discover any errors on the inventory. Ensure to provide evidence of the issue and inform about any damages missing from the report.

What if I can’t pay my rent?

Speak to your landlord as soon as you realise you will have difficulties paying rent. Don’t wait until you miss a rent payment. Rent arrears are a breach of contract, and you could incur late fees or, worse still, eviction. Landlords may be willing to negotiate a payment plan, but you need to act quickly. It’s also a good idea to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

5 / 5
50 reviews
100% recommended
BLOG POST: Jun 14, 2024

Understanding the Property Market: £/sq.ft Trends in the UK, Inner London and West Hampstead   The property......read more